My friend from work's birthday was yesterday. She invited a bunch of people out to celebrate in South Beach. So E's mom agreed to watch the baby. Now, I havent been out in a VERY long time...do i even remember how to "be out?" Lets see....
I dont like to go out and have the baby sleep at my mother in laws. He doesnt sleep very well and I like having him here (at home) when I wake up. But I agreed to leave him there so we could have a long over due night out with some friends, well, my friends fromwork and our friend Abraham. So E drops the baby off and I take a shower and then I am faced with what should I wear? I dont even know if I have anything that fits that is a "going out" outfit. Keeping in mind that we are going to South Beach (somewhere we NEVER go because it is too expensive and they play crappy music) I find a skirt and tank top I used to wear.....does it fit? YES! Let me tell you, putting on that skirt that i havent worn in 2 years definately made me feel good. So i do my hair and makeup and put onmy cute mini skirt/black tank top/short sleeve white button up shirt to go over it and yes, even heels, something i definately have not worn in god even knows how long. I feel good, and maybe even a little excited. Its 10pm and we are ready to head out even though I'm looking at my nice warm bed thinking "maybe we should just stay home and get a good nights sleep".....maybe I am just old. But I digress...we leave the house around 10:15, go pick up ABe, head to the bank to pick up some cash and drive to SOuth Beach.
We are lucky enough to find a lot that has spaces a block away from Lincoln Road where we are headed, and at $10 its not so bad. So we wander down to Lincoln Road and look for Santo, the bar/club/lounge or whereever it is these people are. We find it, its almost 11:30 and as I am standing outside looking in I see peole eating dinner and hear this electronic techno house music crap playing. oh, and did I mention you cant just walk in, they have the whole entrance blocked offwith a "velvet rope" not so velvet but you get the idea. I'm thinking "I am definately not cute enough to get in here and I'm still thinking maybe we should just head home. But we are here and we paid for parking, how bad can it be? If I only knew.
We are let in after this pretty little blonde girl looks me up and down and walk straight into this enormous bodyguard looking man who in a voice deep enough to almost scare me says "$20 please" while pointing to the cashier. "20 per person?!?" reason 1 why we dont go to south beach. So $60 gets us in the door. the fun begins.
I have high hopes. i love to dance so as long as there is music we can dance and have fun regardless of the $20per personm to get in. ...but we dance to hip hop and spanish music....neither of which is playing. E gets us all a drink which is more mixer than anything else. and we stand around with some ther people I work with. they open up the back room, oooh, good, that means the fun should begin now right? yeah. more touristy "rave music" while surrounded by young 21-25 yr olds who are either super drunk or have taken god knows what kind of drug...and there we are with our less than adequate drinks looking like fish out of water. but hey, the night is only as fun as you make it. so yeah, lets cut out the hour and a half standing around dancing a little to the crappy music and jump to, Its about 1:30am and I have definately had enough...I am tired and cranky and am ready for bed. So E closes out the bar tab and and we say our goodbyes and out the door. Want to know how much our bar tab was? For the three of us, me, E, and Abe each having 2 drinks a piece (and for those of you who cant count that would be 6 drinks total) it was $90...yes, you read that right $90!!!!!! for 6 drinks! and not very good ones at that. That is $15 a piece. you have got to be kidding. $160 for a crappy night out. awesome. and that brings me to the title of my post...I am either old of just not cool anymore becasue I do not find spending that amount of money for NOTHING fun. :( Especially since we dont have that kind of money to spend. nice.
its been a super weekend! hey, but at least I can look forward to this week, its my last week of work before vacation and I only have one exam to give and graduation on thursday. yay!
17 years ago

3 comments:
I know what you mean. I an't believe there was a time when I liked South Beach. Now, it's just fun for dinner (early that is) or an art show. I am super content staying at home or hanging out with friend for game night.
:)
Lindsay
I think we're just old. I think it happens a lot faster when your married and have a kid. Being married being the biggest factor.
The last time I went to a club......hmmmm.....my 21st birthday. I've been to Gatsby's but that's more of a bar.
I just have no desire to do that kinda stuff anymore. Spend money on crap when I could so be spending that money buying something cool for the house. In your case something cool for Baby Bear.
BTW, Tania asked how Little E was and sends her hellos!
You're old. No excuses, just old.
Post a Comment